F-1 Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is an employment option available to F-1 students when the practical training employment is considered to be an integral part of the curriculum or academic program. At Yale, the use of CPT is only available in the two circumstances listed below:

  • The employment (usually an internship or practicum) is a degree requirement of all students in the program. Each school and/or degree program at Yale has different requirements that will affect your eligibility for CPT. Please check with your school or OISS.
  • You will receive academic credit for your proposed CPT employment. The course must be listed in your school bulletin and be specifically designed to award academic credit for an employment or practical training experience. PhD students in dissertation status may be eligible for CPT if the training experience is an integral component of the dissertation.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time CPT

CPT can be granted on a part-time or full-time basis. During the academic year, CPT is limited to part-time (no more than 20 hours per week) and you must continue to be enrolled as a full-time student. Full-time CPT (more than 20 hours per week) is generally available to students only during the summer break. If you use 12 months or more of full-time CPT, you will not be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Note: Use of part-time CPT during the academic year is only available to a few graduate and professional school students based on curriculum and/or dissertation. Yale College students are not eligible for term time CPT.

Eligibility Criteria for CPT

  • You must have been in lawful F-1 status for at least one academic year.
  • You must have an offer of employment that qualifies for CPT by establishing that the proposed employment is either a degree requirement for all students in your program or that you will receive academic credit based on your proposed employment experience.
    • If you are a PhD student, you may be eligible for CPT if you are enrolled in GSAS 901C or GSAS 902C or if the proposed employment is essential for your dissertation.
    • If you are an undergraduate student in Yale College, you are eligible for CPT for summer opportunities if you enroll in PRAC 471 in the fall term immediately after your summer engagement. If you plan to take a leave of absence or study abroad in the fall term preceding your summer opportunity, you are not eligible for CPT and should apply for pre-completion OPT.

Applying for CPT

Read about the specific application process for each school.

Multiple Employers and Extensions

CPT authorization must be granted for each incidence of employment for a specific employer and period of time. If you change employers or engage in concurrent employment, you require authorization for each employer and time period. If you are asked to extend your work period for an already approved employment you need to apply for and be granted an extension of your CPT through OISS. Work undertaken after the expiration date of your CPT will be considered unauthorized employment.