Coming to Yale FAQs

New Immigration Document Issuance

Do I need to provide OISS with a copy of my new passport that I received after completing the new student survey? 

You only need to provide OISS with a copy of your new passport if your legal name has changed.

What if I don't have a passport?

You should immediately apply for a passport and notify OISS of this via Once obtained, you should complete the questionnaire and submit it to OISS.

What address will my immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) be mailed to?

Your immigration document will be mailed to the address you provided on your admissions application. Incoming students from Yale College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences should update their mailing address in the new student questionnaire if necessary. Students in any of the professional schools must update their mailing address by contacting their admissions office.  

What should I do if I haven’t received any emails from OISS?

OISS will email incoming students the new student questionnaire to the email provided in the admissions application.  Please check your SPAM folder to confirm that you haven’t received the questionnaire before contacting OISS. If you need to change your contact email, please let us know at or call us at 203 - 432 - 2305. 

Can you provide me with the tracking information of my immigration document?

Unfortunately, due to the high volume of applications for immigration documents, OISS cannot email tracking information to incoming students. However, if it has been more than one month since you submitted all of your application materials and you still haven’t received your immigration document, you should contact OISS at

I am transferring my F-1 SEVIS record to Yale from another U.S. university. When should I transfer my records and how soon can I start working on campus?

International students coming to Yale from another U.S. institution should work with their international student adviser at their current institution to select the transfer release date. To learn about the process please visit our F-1 SEVIS transfer page. Once Yale has completed the transfer of the SEVIS record, you will be able to begin on-campus employment up to 30 days before the program start date. 

What are the visa wait times?

You can find the visa wait times at U.S consulates here.

What should I do if I am currently on an H-1B visa?

We recommend that incoming students currently in the U.S. on an H-1B visa depart the U.S. in order to apply for a new student visa. Travel plans must be confirmed with OISS before we can issue a new immigration document. 

Practical Matters

How do I get to Yale from the airport?

Visit Yale's transportation page for a comprehensive guide on travel to and around New Haven.

How much cash should I bring with me?

While it is never a good idea to travel with large amounts of cash, you will need some U.S. currency or a credit card when you enter the U.S. for getting from the airport to New Haven. Visit our Money and Finances page for more information.  

Where should I send my children to school?

You'll find great resources on the American Education System and local schools on our website.

How can I find housing?

Check out our housing resources page to find more information about different housing options, housing prices, and signing a lease. Yale College students can look at the Yale College Handbook and Yale's Residential Colleges page

How do I know if an area is a safe place to live?

You can refer to the Off Campus Living Website

How can I drive in the U.S.?

You should get your International Driver's Permit (IDP) before your leave your home country and review our driving page. You should also know that you do not need a car in New Haven- many students walk or rely on the transportation system in New Haven

What is the weather like in New Haven?

The weather in Connecticut can range from very hot and humid in the summer to quite cold and freezing in the winter. You need to plan for all four seasons: fall, winter, spring, and summer. You can review our Packing Your Bags page for more information about how to prepare for the weather.