Health Care

Staying healthy is important. It is wise to strike a balance between all aspects of life such as work, socializing, leisure, good diet, exercise and rest. It is also critically important that you have access to medical care in order to keep up with yearly exams, access routine care, and to cover any emergencies or illnesses.  While you are at Yale, you must have adequate health insurance coverageEveryone, no matter how brief the visit, needs to have health insurance coverage at all times.

Before You Leave Home

Schedule all your doctor's and dentist's check-ups at home before you leave. Medical and dental care in the U.S. is excellent, but it makes sense to take care of anything you need before you arrive. Dental care in the U.S. is quite expensive. While it is possible to purchase a student discount plan, it does not cover all dental procedures 100%.


As permitted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, you may want to bring with you any prescription medications (with copies of your prescriptions translated into English) or even non-prescription medications that you take. Sometimes it is difficult to translate a prescription or a non-prescription medication. If you can bring the scientific name of the drug with you, it may be easier to find the equivalent.  Prescription medication may cost more in the U.S. for the same drug from the same company.

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the
container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a
90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your
prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication
entering the U.S.
Immunization and Medical Records

All students must comply with the University's immunization requirements.  New incoming students for the Fall will be able to log into MediCAT on June 20th to upload vaccination records.  The deadline is August 1st.  If you have questions, you can email  

If you are a student or if you have children who will attend school or daycare in Connecticut, you must show proof of immunization. Bring with you proof of immunizations and full medical records. 

Traveler's Insurance
It is advisable to carry traveler’s insurance if your home insurance will not cover the expenses of emergency medical
care while you travel and during your first few days at Yale. Yale Health Plan coverage for new students begins on the
day of the opening of dormitories.

Health Insurance Requirement for J-1 and J-2 Exchange Visitors

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by federal regulations to have medical insurance for the entire period of their stay in the U.S.

Wellness at Yale

Find more information about health and wellness with the Student Wellness and Graduate and Professional Wellness programs.