Many of you have probably heard of the idea of telling yourself daily positive affirmations, but does it really work? The short answer is YES. And there’s actually science and theory around this practice and the benefits that come from it.
The basic practice of daily positive affirmations is to pick an affirming phrase and repeat it to yourself throughout the day. By repeating this positive phrase to yourself, it challenges your negative or unhelpful thoughts that are also floating around in your brain. This helps with motivation, making positive changes in your life, and even helps with self-esteem!
So how do you get started? One of the easiest ways to get started with this practice is to create an Affirmations Jar, or a Jar of Positivity as our Assist. Director of Programs calls her.
You can find a some helpful ideas on our Pinterest board, but here are you basic steps to get you started:
- Find an empty jar or glass to use for your Affirmations Jar
- Find some scrap paper you can use to write your affirmations on. Pro tip: make them colorful or get creative with what you write on to make your jar more enjoyable.
- Look on our Pinterest board or come up with your own affirmations and write one on each scrap of paper.
- Put all of your folded affirmations in your jar.
- Every day, pull one affirmation out and repeat it to yourself throughout the day.
- By doing this practice every day, the positivity will start to shine through and take some of that stress and negativity away!