Spring Break Travel

March 7, 2017

If you are traveling outside the U.S. over spring break, be sure to take all your immigration documents with you. You should have your valid passport, visa, and immigration document [I-20 (F), DS-2019 (J), or I-797 (H-1B)] with you. Please make sure to have a valid travel signature on your immigration document if you are in F or J status. In addition, if you are a student you may want to have an unofficial copy of your transcript, and if you are a scholar you may want to carry a letter confirming your employment or affiliation with Yale University. These last two things are not required, but may provide additional proof of your Yale status. OISS also recommends that you carry your immigration documents when traveling within the U.S. Please review our Travel Guidance.

Given the recent changes to immigration policy, students or scholars traveling on passports from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, or Yemen should speak to an OISS adviser before making travel plans. In addition, if you have recently visited or spent significant amount of time in one of these countries you can expect a lengthier interview at the U.S. port of entry. You may also want to speak with an OISS adviser.

In addition, be sure to register your travel plans on the Yale Emergency Travel Registry website, so we can contact you to provide help in the event of a major emergency. You will need your NetID to login and must use a Yale networked computer or a Yale VPN connection.

If you experience any difficulties at the port of entry or if there are any questions about your status at Yale, please call (or have an immigration officer call) OISS at 203-432-2305 or 203-432-9686. If it is after hours, please call the Yale Police (203-432-4400) who will contact OISS. We don’t anticipate that you will have major problems, but we want you to feel prepared.

Finally, you may be interested in a blog for students, scholars, and schools about how to survive in the current immigration uncertainty, co-authored by Cornell Law Professor Stephen W. Yale-Loehr, who also practices immigration law at Miller Mayer LLP in Ithaca, New York, and Dan Berger, a partner at Curran & Berger, LLP in Northampton, Massachusetts.