J-2 Status for Spouses, Partners & Children

The spouse or partner and dependent children of the J-1 Student Exchange Visitor are eligible for J-2 status and may use this status to accompany the J-1 individual to the U.S. To be eligible for J-2 child must not be over 21. No other family members are eligible for J-2 status. You must also demonstrate sufficient financial resources for their support. You will receive an email survey from OISS upon your acceptance of your offer of admission that will ask you for the relevant information about any family members accompanying you.

Student Family Members:

Students (matriculating at Yale) wishing to notify OISS that a spouse, partner, or child will join you after your arrival should complete the F-1 and J-1 Dependent SEVIS Information Form [PDF] along with evidence of sufficient funds to support their stay.

Scholar Family Members:

Scholars (postdoc, postgrad, etc…) wishing to notify OISS that a spouse, partner, or child will join you after your arrival should enter the family's information into ISD. You will also need to attach each family members passport ID page to ISD, using the Documents Tab. Once that is entered you should notify your department so that they can enter into ISD the additional funding information, and Submit the ISD request to OISS.

Applying for J-2 Status

Each person in J-2 status must have his or her own DS-2019. If the spouse and/or dependent child will accompany the J-1 scholar, this information must be conveyed by the host department at the time of requesting the initial DS-2019 form. If the spouse and/or dependent child will join the scholar in the U.S, the scholar will request the DS-2019 from OISS.

Support Minimums
Scholar $28,800/year
Spouse $7,500/year
Each Child $5,000/year

With the DS-2019, the J-2 dependent may apply for a J-2 visa at the U.S. Consulate.

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See under Health Insurance Requirement for more information.

Requesting a J-2 DS-2019 Form

Please log into ISD (the OISS system used to make your DS-2019 Form).  If you do not remember your ISD password, please contact your department administrator (and they may be able to enter the data for you).

1. Biographical Information

Go to the Dependent Specific tab and enter the biographical data for each family member.

2. Funding

Attach evidence of the additional funding (see Applying for J-2 Status above for requirements) using the Document tab.

3. Save

Remember to hit the SAVE button after entering the information.

4. Data submission

Contact your department administrator and request that they “Submit” the family data to OISS using ISD.


J-2 visa holders (the spouses, partners, and dependent children of J-1's) may apply to US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for permission to work in the United States. Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations, part 214.2(j)(1(v) states that, “income from the spouse's or dependent's employment may be used to support the family's customary recreational and cultural activities and related travel, among other things. Employment will not be authorized if this income is needed to support the J-1 principal alien.”

Application Procedures

The application for J-2 employment authorization includes:

  • A letter to USCIS, explaining the reason for requesting employment authorization. (See the sample PDF)
  • Completed Form I-765
    (Caution: Use the paper form only. DO NOT submit online.)
  • All copies of DS-2019 forms and I-94 records for both J-1 and J-2 visa holders
  • A copy of your J-2 visa stamp in the passport, and the passport page with your photo and information
  • A personal check or money order for $380 payable to US Department of Homeland Security. (A personal check is preferable because, if necessary, you will be able to determine if it has been cashed.) 
  • Two passport type color photographs. You should print your name lightly in pencil on the back of the two photographs (include the number on your previous EAD if you have one).

*If you have applied for an EAD before, a photocopy of your Employment Authorization Document (back and front)

The application and all of the required documentation must be sent to the USCIS Service Center Lockbox facility. Those with addresses in AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MS, NH, NJ, NM, NY, PA, PR, RI, VT, VA, US Virgin Islands, WV and DC will send their application to:

By Courier Service (FedEx, DHL, UPS):
2501 S. State Hwy. 121
Business Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

By U.S. Postal Service:
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

Those with addresses in other states can read the I-765 instructions on where to mail their applications.

Make sure your keep a copy of all the documents you submit.

After mailing in the documents, you will receive a notice (Form I-797) stating you need to wait for about 80 days to receive your EAD. This is your receipt, so take care not to lose it.

Remember, you cannot begin your employment until you have received the Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) from USCIS. If you are applying for a renewal of your J-2 work permission you cannot work beyond the previously authorized date until you receive a new EAD.

Anyone who earns money in the United States must have a social security number for taxpayer identification purposes. The Office of International Students and Scholars can provide you with instructions on applying for a social security number. J-2 visa holders are subject to social security taxes, federal income taxes and, where applicable, state and local income taxes.