Department Application Instructions
Before you begin the application steps below please review the following:
The fastest processing time using Premium Processing is about three months, regular processing can take twice as long.
✓ Application Procedure for H-1B
- For new Yale sponsored employment, first use ISD to submit biographic and appointment information. If the scholar already has an ISD record for the current appointment, please skip this step.
(Need an ISD account? Get more information.)
- Complete the following and submit directly by email to your OISS adviser:
- The H-1B Support letter (see instructions)
- Actual Wage Form
- Prevailing Wage Form
- Deemed Export Control Form
- These forms must be submitted to OISS as soon as possible in order to start the H-1B process. You can also download these forms as a packet (excluding the sample support letter) below:
✓ Fees and Courier Label
You must also complete the following and submit to an OISS advisor:
- Application Fees form
- A courier label in order to send the application to immigration services
(address can be found on the Application Fees form) - Note: Filing H-1B petitions with USCIS is a time sensitive matter. Based on proximity to store locations and drop-off boxes, OISS keeps mailing supplies only for FedEx and UPS to achieve quicker and more efficient delivery results.
Contact the scholar and ask them to begin work on the “H-1B Scholar Application” materials. These materials can be found on this website.
✓ After You Submit to OISS
OISS will send you a Notice of Filing Labor Condition Application with the individuals information already filled in. Please follow the instructions on the form regarding the posting and completing the form. The OISS will then prepare the rest of the H-1B application (with all the materials provided by the department and individual). Upon receiving approval from the Department of Labor, OISS will file the H-1B application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
When OISS receives the approval notice from the USCIS, the OISS adviser will contact the department and the applicant. If the applicant is overseas, OISS will send the approval notice to the applicant who must then apply for an H-1B visa to use to enter the U.S. The department is responsible for sending the approval notice to the applicant, via courier service. OISS, or the department, must complete or update the I-9 Form.