How to Invite a Scholar
If you have any questions about hiring or inviting an individual who is neither a U.S. citizen nor permanent resident, please consult with OISS before making a commitment of employment.
1. Collect Appointment Information
Before beginning the invitation process, you will need to know the:
- Appointment Title (more information about titles)
- English language Assessment
- Appointment dates (considering visa/embassy processing times below, select a date in the future)
- J-1 Scholars - 30 days*
- Student Intern - 60 days
- H-1B - 5-7 months (details here)
- O-1 - 4 months
- OISS J-1 Processing Time
- 7-10 business days from date of complete submission
- Funding information (more information about funding)
- Site of activity address (where will the scholar actually work)
- the scholar's full name, email, and date of birth
* Best Practices Note: Appointments that require approval from the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs typically take longer than 30 days to process.
2. Submit Scholar and Appointment Information to OISS
ALL initial appointments start with Ellucian International Scholar Dossier (ISD).
Not an ISD user? Learn more about ISD
3. Next Steps: Upon Completion of ISD
For total Processing Times, see above.
For J-1 Scholars and J-1 Student Interns:
OISS will produce the DS-2019 form and follow the departments' mailing instructions in 3-5 business days.
For H-1B or O-1 Scholars:
There are additional steps required after the ISD record has been completed. Allow a minimum of 90 days to prepare an H-1B application.
For F-1 OPT, J-1 AT, or TN Scholars:
No further action is required at this time. Please advise OISS well in advance if and when a change of status to J-1 scholar or H-1B will become necessary.
4. Remind Your Scholar to Check In
Remind the scholar to check in with OISS upon arrival at Yale. Scholar check-ins are held Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:00 a.m.