Yale University has an established internship program for graduate students or recently graduated (graduate) students interested in pursuing a career in international student and scholar advising. This is a full time paid internship for up to one calendar year. Some evening/weekend hours will be required. With over 5,000 international students and scholars representing more than 100 countries, Yale's Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) offers the opportunity to participate in and contribute to a myriad of activities and services.
The OISS serves both as a center of support and programs for international students, scholars and their families as well as a resource on U.S. regulations related to international students and scholars studying and working here. OISS is housed in the International Center, which is a modern fully functional event space complete with multiple media options, full kitchen and flexible floor plan on the first floor and additional conference room on the second floor. The Center is known for hosting and developing innovative programming, entertaining social events and practical information sessions to help newly-arrived international students, scholars and family members become a part of the Yale experience. In addition, OISS offers programs year-round that introduce aspects of U.S. culture and community/campus resources, as well as provide opportunities to make valuable social connections. A dedicated staff of seasoned professionals apply their expertise in immigration counseling, assisting with personal and career guidance, and issues related to adjustment to life in the United States. OISS prides itself for keeping current with innovative technical and media solutions to intercultural communication and building efficient processes. We have operated a paperless office for over 6 years.
The internship experience will include opportunities to:
- Gain exposure to a unique model of “international office” a multi-dimensional center known for its innovative programming and expert immigration advising on B, F,H, J, O, P, TN visas and green cards
- Receive training on basic immigration procedures through training sessions and shadowing appointments with OISS advisers, including an introduction to navigating SEVIS and ISSM database.
- Develop and deliver programs to serve Yale's student, scholar and spouse/partner populations, such as arranging and leading bus trips and outings in New Haven, leading an English Conversation Group, and hosting social events at the International Center.
- Grow from observing OISS in-take procedures for new arrivals to eventually leading new student and scholar orientation sessions.
- Observe student/scholar advising sessions with experienced advisers responding to a variety of questions related to immigration, academic and cultural adjustment, family and personal life.
- Write and edit materials for the OISS web site, and participate in the development of our social median tools and/or develop customized projects based on the interest of the intern and the fit with existing OISS needs
- A demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in international student and scholar advising.
- Graduate level course work (or a recent degree) in higher education administration, international education, intercultural relations, student affairs or related field.
- Experience living, working or studying outside one's native culture.
- Knowledge of a language other than English is preferred
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with colleagues to see a project through from start to finish.
- Excellent communication skills, including intercultural sensitivity, a positive outlook, and a lot of patience.
- Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office Suite; familiarity with web editing software, video editing, or graphic design software is a plus.
- Demonstrated interest in international programming, and the desire to work with international students and scholars on a day-to-day basis.
Please send an e-mail with your resume, and a Statement of Interest to Parker Emerson, Associate Director of OISS.
Statement of Interest: Please review oiss.yale.edu to get a basic understanding of our mission and services. Write a statement explaining your interest in an internship, making specific connections to OISS services. Explain the following points:
- What you expect to learn
- What you expect to contribute
- What skills and experience you can provide OISS
Thank you for your interest!